Japanese Healthy Food Recipe☆

This blog shows you real Japanese food and desert recipeies with a lot of pictures.

Thursday, November 30, 2006

Shabu-Shabu (sliced pork stew with vegetables)

The leaves are turening red,and I like to see the changing

of the season.



Nov.8th is a day called "立冬 Rittou", which means the
biginning of winter.



This is when various kinds of nabe dishes (broth stews served in eatrhenware pots)

appear on the table frequently




Today I am goint to show you one of them.





ぶたしゃぶできあがり


Shabu-Shabu refers to the sound made
when swishing a slice pork inthe hot water of the pot.



Usually we cook it on the table.




 <<Japnaese recipe>>   COOKING TIME about 30-40 minutes

ingredients for 3 to 4 people

  • thinly slied pork   200g


  • meat balls made of minced chicken    100g


  • mizuna ( a potherb mustard) or spinach


  • carrot cut into julienne stripes


  • deep-fried tofu(aburaage) cut into julienne stripes
     and parboiled to remove excess oil.


  • burdock cut as if sharp ening a pencil with a knife.


  • bean sprouts


  • a Japanese leek cut into julienne stripes


  • maitake mushrooms


  • 1/4 chainese cabbage cut into bite-size pieces


  • to-fu scoop out in spoonfuls


  • mochi rice cake    cut into 4


  • saifun nooodles (clear chinese noodles


  • konbu kelp    7cm


  • fresh ginger peel and grate


  • soy sauce



optional:kimuchi (korean pickles)



ぶたしゃぶ材料




  1. Fill a large pot about 70% with water and add konbu kelp.

    I soak the konbu in the water for more than 3hours.


  2. Cut the vegegables.


  3. Boil them until done in the nabe.


  4. Eat them with fresh ginger and soy sauce.





*The sliced pork cooks easily when swished in the broth,

however, it is not delicious if overcooked!



*If you are bored with this taste, try to put some kimuchi into your dishes.



*Baking powder is useful for cleaning a scorched pot.


5 Comments:

  • At 05 December, 2006 15:20, Blogger Barbee' said…

    Mmmmm, it looks delicious! They all do. Makes me hungry to look at them. We love good hot soups and meals in winter time, also. It is very cold here now in Kentucky, U.S.A., but no snow yet.

    We have a plant that grows here that is called burdock. I wonder if it is the same plant. I've never known anyone who cooks it. What part do you cook, the root perhaps?

     
  • At 06 December, 2006 01:13, Blogger yaezakura said…

    Thanks for coming again!

    I cook the root of Burdock.

    It is very popular in Japan,so I think it is fit to be eaten.

    It has a lot of dietary fibers.

    I'll show you some recipes using burdock.

    What purpose do you grow burdock?

    Is it a ornamental plant?

    I'm intereseted in the differences of burdock!





    In Japan the temperature was below zero this moring!!But no snow yet.

    Please take care of yourself!

     
  • At 06 December, 2006 04:27, Blogger Barbee' said…

    Thank you, Yae.

    I looked up Burdock in Google and read several information sites about it. It seems you and I have different types. Your dietary one is Arctium lappa : Greater Burdock, Gobo.

    But the one that grows here is probably Arctium pubens : Common Burdock. Maybe some people eat the root of the Common Burdock, and though I'm intrigued, I'm not that adventuresome.

    Here in our garden it comes up without being planted and is considered a weed. It is biennial, producing its seeds the second year. The seeds are burs that stick to clothing and animal fur the same way as Velcro closures work. They are quite a nuisance. However, I frequently leave it the first year for the leaves are large and rather tropical looking and interesting in appearance. Then the second year before it goes to seed, we chop it down so it doesn't make seeds that would create more plants. The ornamental plant, Hosta, has large leaves and is more desirable as it doesn't make those awful bur seeds.

    Our son has come to visit, so I will close now. Enjoyed our chat. Sincerely, B.........

     
  • At 07 December, 2006 18:59, Blogger yaezakura said…

    Hi,Barbee!

    Thnaks for replying me. I enjoy our chat very much.

    I checked in Google image,too.
    I use gobo(this word is Japanese) for cooking.

    But I have never seen a flower of gobo.Just I see is a part of root.

    And I also look at Arctium pubens. Its color is beatiful purple and has fantastic shape!


    Japan also has a nuisance plant. I remember that in the childfood I come home with this seedes.

    These are called "
    ひっつき虫" in Japanese.

    I hope you and your son had a great time.


    I like your garden and plants and chat so could I link your site to my site?

    Take care.

    ***yae***

     
  • At 20 February, 2012 21:35, Anonymous philippines catering services said…

    I tried this and it tasted great.Thanks for sharing such a nice recipe.Keep posting!

    zonia

     

Post a Comment

<< Home